Hardcoded subtitles are those subtitles which are inbuilt or internal. Whenever you start your movie or any other video if video has hardcoded subtitles it will start automatically. There isn’t any external subtitle. You can not turn it off.2. Softcoded subtitleSoftcoded subtitle means they are external. You have to start the subtitle manually. It doesn’t start automatically. You can turn on/off the subtitle manually.
After this short introduction, let get back to the post. Recently my friend came to me having a problem about subtitle. He wants to play a movie on his television but there is no option to start the subtitle. So one of the solution of it is hardcode subtitles. Now other problem arise. How to hardcode subtitle in movie? So I search in Google about “How to hardcode subtitles in movie?” and got some software names in results and my slow internet speed is not allowing me to download any. But I managed to do it with my favorite media player VLC media player.Follow the steps given below.
NOTE : This method may not work with mkv format as the muxer is not provided by VLC and it could be missing. You can try method after converting to another video format or you can use other tool. I would suggest to use mkvtoolnix. This tool is specially for mkv format. Just add mkv format video and subtitles.
UPDATE : Old method is not working with some video formats since VLC update. Here is another method to hardcode subtitles in movies using VLC.
1) Open VLC media Player.
2) Select media option from menu bar.
3) Select stream from drop down menu.
4) Select your movie/video by clicking on ADD option
5) Click on Stream. Press Next.
6) Now Click on browse and enter the name by which you want to save your movie/video
7) Select the last option, create new profile from it.
8) Name your profile Hardcoding, Select the file format of video. For example select mp4/mov for mp4 videos. In video codec tab, Check on Video. Leave ‘Keep original video track’ and in codec select H-264. In audio codec tab, check on audio and also on ‘Keep orininal audio track’. In subtitle tab, Select overlay subtitles and save it.
10) In the text box remove “scodecs=dvbs,” and click on stream.
11) Wait for sometime and your video will be hardcoded.
If you have any problem regarding this let me know by comments. Follow this link for further information.
OLD METHOD :
What you need is a video in which you want to hardcode subtitle and a .srt (You can download it. Hardly about 2-3 KB) file to hardcode it.
1) Open your VLC media player.
2) Select media option from the menu bar.
3) Select convert/save from the drop down menu.
4) Now select your movie/video by clicking on the ADD option.
5) Select the .srt file of the subtitle. Check “Use a subtitles file” check box if it is not checked.
6) Now click on the convert/save
7) Select the setting option as shown in the image below.
8) Go to the subtitle menu and correct on the subtitle check box.
9) Correct overlay subtitle check box and save it.
10) Now click on start.
Wait for some time while VLC Player is processing to hardcode subtitle. Once finished you don’t need any external .srt files with it. You can transfer movies and watch it in your Television if your TV doesn’t allow to start subtitles manually.
If you have any query regarding to this post or need some help. Write it in comment.